The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control has said Nigeria imports 70 per cent of the medicine being consumed in the country.
However, the agency said the remaining 30 per cent were being produced by local manufacturers.
The Director-General of NAFDAC, Prof Mojisola Adeyeye, said this on Wednesday in Abuja at an event organised by Promoting the Quality of Medicine, an agency of the United States Agency for International Development.
The USAID Mission Director, Stephen Haykin, presented the ANSI National Accreditation certificate certifying NAFDAC’s laboratory in Yaba, Lagos, for meeting international standards.
According to Adeyeye, over 200 drug manufacturing companies in the country have complied with accepted international standards.
She said, “We import 70 per cent of drugs consumed in Nigeria and local drug manufacturers produce the remaining 30 per cent. There are more than 200 drug manufacturing companies in the country and we employ international best practice in categorisation of the company so that we can be sure of the quality of our medicines.”
The NAFDAC chief advised local manufacturers to streamline their line of production and concentrate on their best products to improve on their ratings by the agency.