Fire gutted at least 25 shops yesterday at the Gombe main msarket located in the heart of the metropolis.
The inferno, which started around 1:45am, lasted over four hours.
Speaking to Daily Trust, the chairman of the market traders’ association, Alhaji Uba Abdullahi, attributed the inferno to an electrical fault. He said property worth over N50 million were lost to the inferno.
Abdullahi advised the marketers to always switch off their electrical appliances after closing from the market to avoid such unfortunate incident.
The spokesman of the state Fire Service, Haruna Wambai, said there was no loss of life, adding that the incident was being investigated.
Meanwhile, Governor Muhammad Inuwa Yahaya, in a statement by his spokesman, Ismaila Uba Misilli, said the incident would be investigated to avoid future occurrence in other markets.